Sunday, February 11, 2007

Writing Assignment 6: Satire

On This Perfect Day

“It’s a sign!” I woke up to my alarm clock shortly after I realized what song was coming from its speakers, and can you believe it, it was playing “Perfect Day” by Hoku! One of my all-time favorites! I jumped out of bed, ready to start my first day of college, the song giving me new confidence and excitement. On this perfect day, nothing’s standing in my way. On this perfect day, when nothing can go wrong. This is going to be great, I thought, today’s going to be the best day ever!

Being unusually perky at seven in the morning, I grabbed my pink towel and walked down the hallway to the bathroom, dancing a little on the way as I could still hear the song coming from my alarm. I had plenty of time to get ready for my ten o’clock class, thank god, as I wanted to look my absolute best. With curlers still in my hair, I put a shower cap on them as I stepped into the shower, letting the warm water trickle over my skin. I hummed “Perfect Day” as I shaved my legs, making sure not to miss a spot. I had gone tanning the day before and was pleased to see that my skin looked nice today, even darker than it was before. I was excited to take the curlers out of my hair once I was finished showering, as I had found instructions for a new hair-do in Vogue and was anxious to see the results.

As I got out of the shower, one of the other pledges, Cindy, came in to brush her teeth. “Hi Cindy!” I said, “Are you excited for today?”

“Definitely,” she replied, “Especially for tonight! Party at Pi Kappa Sigma! They are so hot. I’m gonna need your advice tonight on an outfit.”

“Sure!” I said, “I’ll see you tonight then!”

“Ok, bye!” said Cindy, as I left the bathroom. I can’t believe Cindy actually expects me to help her choose an outfit, I thought. Hasn’t she gotten the hint that she’s annoying me? Oh well, I’ll just make sure to avoid her tonight so I won’t have to be seen with her at Pi Kappa Sigma. I don’t get why so many guys like her—she isn’t even that pretty if you really look at her.

As I walked into to my room, I grabbed the outfit I had picked out the night before that was folded on my desk-chair. I put on my favorite low-rise jeans, a yellow tank top, and wedge sandals as I took out the curlers in my hair. And let me tell you, I had never seen my hair look so good. Thank you, Vogue! The loose waves definitely complimented the shape of my face. I would for sure be turning heads tonight.

After I carefully applied my make-up and packed up my things for class, I went down to the dining hall to find several girls having breakfast. I had my usual Frosted Flakes for breakfast and grabbed an apple for lunch, as I was on a new diet. The room seemed to be abuzz with excitement, as everyone was a little anxious for their first day.

I then walked to class with a couple girls in the sorority who also had class at ten o’clock. However, it’s not even worth it to tell you about Microeconomics or Accounting that day. If the cute boys weren’t distracting me during class, I was probably spacing out or doodling in my notebook. Those classes are going to be so boring! I can’t drop them, though, as I have to take them for the Business major. I’ll probably just have my dad help me out—he knows everything about everything. The rest of the day on campus was fine though—I can’t believe how many people go to UW! There are so many people to meet and things to do.

But let’s fast-forward to tonight—the only event of the day that really matters! As I restyled my hair, all the girls in the sorority were getting ready for the party. The sound of hair dryers and pre-funk music filled the house. I made sure that Cindy did not see me when I came home, and had my other friend, Maggie, hang out with me as we got ready. After consulting her for advice, I decided to wear my turquoise halter-top with a plunging neckline and a pair of dark-washed jeans with my favorite pair of high-heels. Damn, I looked hot. No denying it! Soon enough, though, it was time to leave, and after taking plenty of group photos we all headed out to Pi Kappa Sigma.

Even though it had been warm that day and Pi Kappa Sigma was only a couple blocks away, it had definitely cooled down for the night and I felt frozen by the time I got there. Better to have that, though, than to have to worry about a coat. I felt kind of silly walking over in my halter-top, but I had had enough pre-funk drinks to not worry about it. Plus, all the other girls were just as scantily clad on the way over as I was!

When we entered the fraternity, we were greeted by bumping music, drinks in plastic red cups, and all the cutest guys I had ever seen in one place. With a big smile on my face, I let all the older sorority girls introduce me to the boys of Pi Kappa Sigma. One guy, in particular, named Kevin, took an interest in me and asked me to dance. He was definitely a hottie and a junior, so I accepted right away. Already buzzed by the drinks I had had, we moved onto the floor and danced to Chris Brown and the Ying Yang twins. After a few songs, he offered to get me a drink and I accepted willingly. He came back with a neon-green glowing drink, explaining that the energy drink, Rock Star, glowed in the black light. The drink was gone pretty fast—it always got easier for me to drink as I had more.

After about ten minutes, though, I was surprised to find my vision blurring, my head pounding. How many drinks did I have, I thought. Did I really have that many? Seeing Kevin smiling at me, I made sure not to give him any hints that I was worried, and continued dancing with him. Soon enough, though, I started to feel even dizzier and finally told Kevin that I needed to take a break and get away from all the people. He understood and told me I could go up to his room and relax. Thinking that lying down sounded very appealing, I let him lead me upstairs and to his bed where he said I could rest for a half hour or so. As I curled up and heard the door close, I instantly felt better. Finally I was away from the crowded dance floor and all the loud music that was making my head pound. However, when I opened my eyes as I changed my position, I was surprised to see the blurry outline of Kevin still in the room. He was sitting in a chair nearby.

“Why aren’t you downstairs with everyone else?” I asked.

“Shhh,” he said, “Just relax and don’t worry about me.” He soon got up to move closer to me, and my heart started pounding as he sat down on the bed and started caressing my leg. What was he doing? Should I call out for help? Before I could think of what to do next, my vision began to slip away from me, and without warning, everything went black.

1 comment:

jeffokada said...

Katie, this piece does a good job at satirizing sorority life, and I think, all Freshmen in general. A lot of the lines worked because they were amusing, but also because they fit the profile of the protagonist. My favorite one liner was “Thank you, Vogue.” Again, funny, but oh so true. I also liked your selection of words and the way that you stayed in character throughout the piece. The inner thoughts of the character and her mode of thinking seemed completely appropriate to the narrator.
I thought that the ending was a bit out of place for this story. I was reading this story and really enjoying the jabs and light-hearted dialogue, but the ending seemed to cast a dark shadow over the piece. Maybe it would be more appropriate to end this story with a funny satire on the stereotypical fraternity guy or maybe on college parties in general. However, I thought this satire to be very good. (By the way, now I have the Hoku song “The Perfect Day” re-playing constantly in my mind. Hope you’re satisfied.).